Sunday, May 13, 2007

Brushfire

"...the same wind which extinguishes a lamp will fan a fire..."
---Beaumarchais, The Barber of Seville.

Dreamless, stirred by the doleful call of mourning dove, 
I woke to an urn emptied world. 
A Bingo Parlor pall decked morn with a dirty shift.

My nose itched and seconded my lungs,
I coughed.
Above it all, perfectly circular,
waned a piss-orange Sun.

These skies, the likeness of Bellona's pyre littered vault,
"The smoke-kissed tombs of heroes"
as Lucan, the Matricide, sang.

Though glutted with ash,
day's sharpness stings.


3 comments:

Anatole David said...

"as Lucan,
the Matricide,
Sang."


is that right? or does "sung' work?

Anatole David said...

Binx helped me--he's kind----props to BINX

Beysshoes said...

Boncheeks? que? What does this name mean... your cheeks are full of bonbons? Oh and keep the "sang" please. It's cryptic enough without you messing with the tenses. Sarai